KEY THINGS TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD'S LEARNING
- Reading frequently. Discuss the front cover of the book, the pictures and ask your child questions about the story.
- Read stories to them. Immersing you child in the magic of stories not only helps language development but also encourages a child to want to read for themselves.
- Practice number recognition at any opportunity. e.g door numbers, vehicle number plates etc.
- Practice counting to and ordering numbers from 0 to 10 or 20 (depending on their ability)
- If your child is confident with their numbers you could begin simple addition and subtraction in everyday scenarios such as their toys, food items in the house, shoes etc
- For those of you that like to make a start on higher expectations of Year 1 (and if your child is ready) - you could begin practicing counting in 2's, 5's or 10's.
- Encourage writing when opportunities arise. Could they help write the shopping list this week?
Remember to keep learning fun!